Thursday, January 12, 2012

Garden Vegetable Soup


Soup du Jour
This has been one of my favorite soups since 2001. I want you to know this is quick delish and it's a healthy choice and full of cancer fighting veggies! Did I mention it's soothing and well....just delish!
 
The Dr. Oz website reminded me that I should share it. I have removed the words Weight Watchers from the title. Why? Those WW often is a turn offs, plus although they made it popular, it could just as easily be called "survival soup." It has probably been around since the beginning of time.
Here’s one diet secret that will help curb your appetite so you won’t crave those extra calories. Soup is a great low-calorie way to fill up so you don’t overeat. A study showed that people who started meals with soup ate 30% less food. Start your meals off right with this tasty Weight Watchers soup that is high in fiber and low in points!  Dr. Oz website.
Now I changed this recipe slightly to make it spicy! (They don't call me Spicy Brandt for nothing). But the benefits, calories (if you are counting) or WW point system (if you keep track) hasn't changed. I've noted my changes below.
 
Ingredients
Makes 6 servings
1/2 cup carrots, sliced
1/4 cup onions, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups fat-free beef, chicken or vegetable broth
1 cup green cabbage, diced
1 cup spinach, chopped
1 TBS tomato paste, I add a can of spicy Rotel. Matter of fact, I sometimes exclude the tomato paste all together.
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup zucchini or chayote diced. I prefer chayote it can be found in your produce section, and is much heartier, it doesn’t get soggy, better texture and great in this soup. Plus you can throw it in the pot with everything else (no wait needed to save its integrity).

Chayote
Directions
Spray a large saucepan with nonstick cooking spray, and heat. Place carrot, onion and garlic in saucepan. Sauté vegetables over low heat for 5 minutes, until softened. If you are short of time, just throw it all in your in your soup pan.
 

Add broth, cabbage, spinach, and chayote (if you are using), tomato paste, basil, oregano and salt. Bring saucepan to a boil.  For a slight variation, add a bit of cumin.

Reduce heat, and simmer, covered, for 15 mi
nutes. Stir in zucchini, and cook 3-4 minutes.

What Is Chayote?

I rarely cook with squash and zucchini because I am soggyphobic! I like squash and zucchini, but I need them to be eaten raw or blanched and crunchy. Chayote is called the vegetable pear and has a firm texture. and can hold up to heat. You do not have to peel or seed it, I eat it whole. Some think it has mild cucumber favor. Well, it does come from the same gourd family as cucumbers, squashes, and melons,  but it doesn't carry a cucumber flavor to me except maybe in its raw state. I would say it absorbs the flavors that surrounds it.  

Chayote is sold at our local supermarket (an
d I live in Missouri) but if you haven't found it, go to the grocery store that sells more ethnic (Latin or Asian) cooking produce.

Although in 2001 I joined WW and lost 30 lbs (never gained a pound back), I do not endorse WW except for any financial or compensation. I did learn a lot through WW and it was vital to my road to a "healthier me" therefore, I  will reference or share it in posts. 
Kathleen Brandt
SpicyBrandt on Twitter
stradercom@aol.com
Disclaimer: Although in 2001 I joined WW and lost 30 lbs (never gained a pound back), I do not endorse WW except for any financial or compensation. I did learn a lot through WW and it was vital to my road to a "healthier me" therefore, I  will reference or share it in posts. This soup Weight Watchers PointsPlus™ Value: 1.
© 2011 Weight Watchers International, Inc. © 2011 WeightWatchers.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WEIGHT WATCHERS and PointsPlus are registered trademarks of Weight Watchers International, Inc. and are used under license by WeightWatchers.com, Inc.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home