Thursday, December 22, 2011

Cracker Cake or Cookie

10 Minute Dessert
So as you know I don't care for cooked sugar, bur for some reason, (maybe the holidays), I made a 10 minute dessert: Saltine Toffee Cookies.  Now "cookie" may be a misnomer.  You can detect the saltiness of the saltine crackers, and definitely the toffee.  But, I'm still working on"cookie."  However, you classify it, put it in your holiday recipe book. Why? It's quick, easy and full of household staples. And pretty darn tasty!

Brown sugar, butter, saltine crackers, chocolate morsels and pecans (but I think any nut would do).  I used the mini morsels of chocolate. Personally, I would have preferred a lot less chocolate; but hubby liked it just fine!

I made a note in my recipe book to make three changes on the next batch:
1) use a bit of the vanilla flavored brown sugar. I usually have vanilla infused brown sugar on hand You never know when you need it!  I do the same with white sugar.  After using the vanilla pod, stick it in a sugar bowl. 
2) substitute dark chocolate.  But, I guarantee you, kids will not have a problem with these.
3) refrigerate to cool. I'm wondering if I'd get a firmer texture out of the chocolate if I cooled in the refrigerator instead of room temp. But if you like gooey and a bit messy, you've got a winner.  Another key is to not over use the chocolate morsels. More is not better.
Here's the recipe:  (I cut it in half and prepared in 8x8 pan.)
SALTINE CRACKER TOFFEE 
Saltines (crackers)
2 sticks butter
2 c. brown sugar
12 oz. pkg. chocolate chips
1 cup chopped pecans

Lay crackers side by side in 10"x15" jelly roll pan (cookie sheet with edge).Bring butter and sugar to boil and continue boiling until soft ball stage.
Pour toffee over crackers. Bake in 400 degree oven for 5 to 7 minutes. Watch carefully so doesn't burn.
Sprinkle chips over toffee/crackers and return to oven for 30 seconds to melt. Spread the melted chocolate and sprinkle chopped pecans on top.
Cool to set and harden. Crack and enjoy.

Kathleen Brandt
stradercom@aol.com


Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home