Sunday, December 18, 2011

Risotto Style Balls - Vegan and Vegetarian

The Vegan Version by Katchadourian-Reese
A Holiday Batch
A holiday batch of brown rice risotto style mushroom balls can save you from appetizer tapas worry. I make a large batch. Some are vegan, some are mozzarella filled, others are spicy. Then I accompany it with sauces: pesto, marinara (fill free to add a splash of red wine), and honey/mustard.  One of my favorite sauces is a garlic parsley flavored oil oil with white wine added, but another one is a reduced balsamic vinegar with a touch of molasses.

A hint...for your vegan batch you may wish to add nutritional yeast. Nut crusted makes them yummy also.
If your risotto balls are the same with every batch, you probably aren't being creative enough.  So much can be done with these.

For a new variety, my google search landed me on The Vegan Version of Katchadourian-Reese blog. I'm going to set aside a batch today with for her savory choices of herbs and seasonings.

Looking for a pescatarian option:  add diced up shrimp.
 
Don't Fry
I fry nothing! If it requires over 1TBS of oil oil, it doesn't get made in this house.  So, I oven bake at a high temp 425F. I roll the balls in everything from macademia nuts to panko.  Really! Use your favorite, and add both flavor and protein, so a nut base roll is often used.  I cook them in my mini-muffin pan and eat them hot or at room temp.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Just reading this, I swear I'm going to faint and die of happiness. Now I want to scrap this week's restaurant plans and beg you to cook instead!

December 18, 2011 at 10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home