Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Baked Sesame Crusted Tofu


Serve with Sweet & Spicy Garlic 
(or Ginger) Sauce 
I’m not a tofu expert. Matter of fact, I rarely cook it. But it is a treat when I go out to eat; plus, my vegetarian friends are always looking for new recipes.  Yesterday, my friend Casey and I went to Lulu’s Thai Noodle Shop, a local restaurant, and she introduced me to Sesame Crusted Tofu. Delish! Which means my test-kitchen is open!

I have found that baking tofu helps concentrate flavor and makes the texture firmer, but others may wish to fry.  This is my final recipe.  Give it a try and tell me what you think.


The Ingredients
  • 1 pound extra-firm organic tofu (1 package), rinsed
  • 1/4C lemon juice
  • 2TBS soy sauce or pinch of sea salt
  • chilli to taste
  • 1/4 cup sesame seeds (You may wish to mix black and white)
  • 1TBS sesame oil
Slice tofu in half lengthwise and absorb any excess water on paper towel. Apply pressure (I sit a cooking pan on top of the tofu bar or a few can goods.)

Marinate tofu squares (oblongs) in ¼C lemon juice and 2 TBS soy sauce and 1TBS sesame oil for 20 minutes, add chilli to taste.

Mix  sesame seeds (black and white) on a plate and set aside

Coat tofu with sesame seeds and lay on greased baking pan; or use a “grease-free” silicone mat.

Bake for 30 minutes at 375.0  Turn the tofu half way through cooking.

Serve tofu with your favorite sauce. I must admit, I like Lulu’s “sweet ginger sauce,” but my favorite sauce is a sweet and spicy garlic sauce.

Sweet and Spicy Garlic Sauce
I just boil up a batch of this, and refrigerate it in a canning jar for up to 3 weeks, so it’s always on hand.  When I’m ready to serve, I just heat it on the stove for a minute or two so that it reaches the right syrup-like consistency for dipping! (Did I mention, I rarely use the microwave).

Sauce Ingredients
Boil and dissolve 1/3C brown sugar, 3C water, 2TBS garlic (minced) 1/4tsp salt (to taste). I add up to 1/4C rice vinegar for tanginess, but not necessary.

Add hot chilli sauce to taste (abt 1 TBS). You may wish to chop up a few green scallions for added flavor.

For a sweet ginger sauce, you could substitute ginger for the garlic. Just start with about 2tsp ginger and add to taste. I also suggest you eliminate the rice vinegar.

Kathleen Brandt
stradercom@aol.com

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home