Saturday, December 24, 2011

Red Orange and Yellow Peppers


Muhammara - Vegan Dip
My refrigerator was overrun with peppers. Red and orange.  So, I turned to an old favorite: Muhammara - a vegan spicy pepper dip. You probably have already figured out, veggies can easily be used for dips and sauces. Served with toasted pita squares or naan, you can have a snack in about 5 minutes.

Muhammara, is the Indian cuisine's answer to hummus (at least that's my theory) and, it's delicious, easy to make and a one dish wonder. Oh..and a bonus: it's free of the sesame seed paste (Tahini) that is in hummus. You've probably heard sesame seed allergies are on the rise.

All you need is your food processor; one of the essential kitchen gadgets.

Muhamarra Recipe
3/4 cup toasted walnuts (I keep these on hand.)
3 roasted red bell peppers
3/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
1 jalapeño or other small hot chili pepper, stemmed and seeded (I use red pepper flakes)
1 small onion, finely chopped (for milder, green or shallots will do)
2-4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses*
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon ground cumin
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil.


1. Lay out ingredients.  (Work with me, I'm like 3 step processes).
2. Put everything but olive oil in  food processor.   Process until smooth; stopping to scrape down the sides if necessary.
3. With the machine running, slowly pour in olive oil and process until combined. Taste, and adjust seasoning if necessary. Serve with toasted pita bread for dipping.

*Pomegranate molasses? You can purchase at an Indian or Asian store, but I was fresh out! (wink wink). So I used a splash of pomegranate and the 1TBS of molasses. Is it a fair substitute? I have no idea. But it works well.

If you came to my house, I'd offer you some, but then again, hubby has been dipping out of this batch straight out of the bowl.  Ick...but I'm glad he likes it.  I'll make you a fresh batch.

Kathleen Brandt
stradercom@aol.com

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home